Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bus Stop

There were so many firsts that came along with Ben starting Kindergarten...including riding the bus.  I never really gave much thought to the bus...I grew up riding the bus almost every day...but I when it came time to put my little guy on there...I'm not sure who was more nervous.  Of course I put on my bravest smile and told him how much fun it would be and how cool it was... you can see from this picture below the brave face he was putting on as well!




Zach & I walked him down to the bus stop, which is thankfully only 3 house down from ours.  Ben was super excited about it all morning...but hesitation set in with each step out the door.  It took everything I had not to tell him that I would just take him and we could do the bus another day!


I was so proud of him...I could tell how nervous he was, but he gave me a kiss and hug and marched over to the other side of the street to wait with the kids.  


It helps that we live in the best kid friendly neighborhood...there are 6 kids just from our side of the street that get on the same bus regularly.

I asked Ben how the bus ride was when I picked him after school.  He told me it was good, but said he was a little scared.  When I asked him why he said because he didn't know where they were taking him.  I had never really thought of that, but I'm sure it was a little different weaving in and out of stops instead of our straight shot to school.  I asked him if he wanted to ride again the next day and he said no.  I let it go for a few days and finally convinced him into giving it another go.  It was one of the most difficult days for both of us...he was in tears begging me not to leave him at the stop.  It killed me, but I knew he had to get past this hurdle so I walked him up to the bus door... and was so thankful that his driver, Mr. T, was so great, stopped the bus, walked him to his seat, and made him feel at ease.  Wish someone would've helped put me at ease...my stomach was in knots all day.  When I picked him up and asked about the bus, he told me it was good, and has since rode the bus almost every morning.  It amazes me how quick the transition went from tears in the mornings to barely a kiss, a quick wave and he's off.